Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Where's My Ring?

Haa haa, I was just thinking of that old Lifesavers commercial where the little boy asks the little girl to marry her and the first thing she says is, "Where's my ring?" and of course it's a Lifesaver. Haa haa, anyway, dear Leslie, my ring is with my mom right now. The week before Ryan proposed to me he had asked me what my ring size was. I thought I was a 6.5 but I really haven't worn a ring in a long time so I wasn't really sure. So the ring comes and it's just a little bit too big. Not so much that if I flung my arms around really fast or anything that it'd go flying but enough to make me worry when my hands were wet.

The day we got engaged we went to a Kays Jeweler at the mall (Tysons Corner) to ask about ring resizing and such. They guy was non-plussed when I told him we just gotten engaged. Maybe he didn't care since we didn't get the ring from him. Pah. I asked him to size the ring for me and to get my ring size. I remember him telling us that it was a 6.75. So we figured maybe Diamond.com sent us the closest thing they had since the ring was guaranteed to be shipped by Mother's Day. I remember trying on one of those ring-sizers and I thought it was a 6.5. So I thought I'm definitely a 6.5. The guy tells me it's going to be 60 bucks to resize and it would take about a week because they would have to send it away to get done. I'm like, "Well that's not too bad, I guess" but of course I had nothing to compare it to since I'd never gotten a ring resized before. I wasn't willing to part with the ring just yet (hey, I'd just gotten it!) and so I said we'd be back sometime down the road. We decided to get this tiny piece of plastic that's suppose to temporarily help keep the ring a bit more secure. The thing was freakin' 10 bucks! It worked fine for a while but then the plastic itself started getting loose. I've lost the thing twice now and it has miraculously reappeared but I got so annoyed with it that it just sits in my jewelry box now. (Ryan's mom and Renee, if you are reading this, the jewelry box has proven to be a Godsend!)

So I told my mom the story about our trip to the jeweler and she balks at the price. She's like, "My jeweler resizes my rings for only $10!" Granting of course, Ryan and I live in a place with a higher cost of living than my hometown (3.5 hours away) but my mom has been going to that jeweler for years and has resized numerous rings for her and he actually does the resizing rather than sending it away like Kays does. I'd have no idea as to who to go to here aside from just walking into a store. So I decided I'd leave it with her over Memorial week so that she could take it to her jeweler. It ended up being perfect since she was actually on vacation that week. She calls me from the jeweler the Tuesday after Memorial Day and tells me that her jeweler says the ring is a size 6.5. Then a few minutes later he says it's a 6.25. All these numbers swirling around that ring! I have NO idea what size it really is. So I was confused since the jeweler at Kays told me something different. Maybe he meant 6.25 instead of 6.75. So then I didn't know what size I should go down to. Should I just go down a quarter size? Would that be enough? Well, I'm planning on losing weight, should I go down to a 5.75? My mom and I went back and forth on the phone asking ourselves what the best size to go with was. I finally decided on 6.0. Her jeweler was only going to charge us $25 instead of $60 quoted to me by the guy at Kays! It's more than the $10 because it's platinum. I figured at that price, I could get it resized again if I had to and STILL spend less than at the Kays up here, good Lord.

So the ring has been with my mom for over a week. She will be coming here this weekend to meet with Ryan's parents and will bring the ring with her. I miss looking down at it and seeing it. When I look at it I'm reminded me of the fact that he loves me and he is committing himself to me and a life together. These are of course things I knew before the ring was given to me but now it's like a visual reminder when I look down at it, sorta like tying a string around your finger. It just makes me feel loved and puts a smile on my face.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home